I admit it: I am a tea addict. I’m also a coffee addict, but tea and I have had a long, satisfying relationship that has sustained me up until the past few years, when spending chunks of time in Italy spawned a new adoration of my caffeinated bean friends. Anyways, back to where I started: tea.
Matcha tea is like the king of all green teas. The antioxidants are super potent because, unlike regular looseleaf teas, which are merely steeped, matcha is actually ground up into a powder, which you drink. It’s like an amazing buzzfest in my head when I need a super healthy-feeling pick-me-up. Just know that green tea = great for you, matcha = super great for you.
So, why not put it into a smoothie? Combine the things I love the most? It just makes sense. Change the sweetness to your own preference, and if you want an extra kick, feel free to add more matcha or even to throw 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract in there. Make it your own!
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup milk of choice (make it 1 cup if you leave out the yogurt)
- 1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt (I add this because I like an extra protein kick. If you don’t want it/want to make it vegan, leave it out or add tofu instead)
- 1/2 cup water (again, this varies depending on how thick you like your smoothies)
- 1 tsp. agave OR 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. matcha
- 1/2 cup spinach (adding greens to smoothies gives me the smug feeling of having had a salad before lunch)
Blend. Drink. Enjoy!