Although I used to absolutely abhor my super curly strands, I now embrace it and love it. Where I once berated my father for giving me his curly genes, I now thank him and and sing his praises to others. Recently, I came across this list that inspired me to make my own on why curly hair is awesome. So, without further ado:
1) I will never be bored. Ever. Waiting for the bus? Bored in class? Daydreaming? I have a head FULL of springs that I can play with, whenever I choose.
2) I have an automatic topic of conversation to introduce myself to any other curly-haired person. Always. All that I have to do, is approach another curly and say, “Wow, I love your hair! Tell me how you take care of it?” and a 30-minute conversation is born. New friends, hurrah!
3) I can get away with funkier, edgier outfits to match my funkier, edgier hair. Feel like being a diva today? No problem, poof out the hair and go full afro. Instant pulling off ANYTHING.
4) I’m pretty sure it contributes to me looking significantly younger. Sure, that could be the little to no makeup, my small size, or my itty bitty titty committee membership, but I think the curls also play a significant role in constantly being asked for I.D. (when the drinking age in Canada is 19, friends!). There’s something youthful and innocent about a head full of curls.
5) I can stand out in a crowd. Although this may be considered a disadvantage for some, I love it. I have been meeting friends countless times who informed me they were able to find me “because my fro guided them.”
6) I can put a braid in and it will stay. Without an elastic. Sometimes I look at curly hair as this cool pipe cleaner style of fun – I can braid my hair casually and have it retain position without having to spritz, spray, pin, or tie anything. Magic!
7) People remember you more easily because your hair made an impression. I rarely have issues with having to re-introduce myself, or people not recognizing me. Unless, of course, I made the mistake of straightening my hair (never again!).
8) Two words: Mini. Umbrella. My hair absorbs the rain and keeps it off my shoulders for the next little while. Versatile!
9) My hair gets better with humidity. Some of this behaving is because of the Curly Girl Method, but I also LOVE the volume my hair takes on when the weather is hot and sticky. Curly hair absorbs moisture, so my hair just drinks it in when the heat kicks in. I think it looks great! Embrace it!
10) Instant. Pillow. I don’t think I really need to elaborate.
What are some of your reasons why you love curly hair? Straight or curly-haired people are welcome to answer!