Blogging is a weird thing…there can be a lot of oversharing, or a lot of anonymity…whatever the writer prefers. There’s so much control. And, being a Type A personality, I really appreciate that. But I also love getting to know my fellow bloggers as well as my readers, which is why I thought it only fair to divulge some facts about myself (perhaps not as tantalizing as you might think!). So, deep breath…here I go!
1. My dad’s nickname for me has, and always will be, Skeezix. It was something he picked up when I was a baby and it just stuck. I later learned that it was the name of a character from a comic strip. I love it.
2. I didn’t get my nose pierced until I was 24 years old. I definitely came ‘late to the game’ for that – but, despite my irritations with it, I’m really happy to have gotten it done!
3. One of my feet is flat, the other over-arches to compensate. This makes buying shoes (particularly running shoes) a tricky event.
4. I am a giant, raging, no-holds-barred Lord of the Rings fan. That and the Chronicles of Narnia (the entire pack!) have been on my reading rotation for a long, long time.
5. I have been playing piano since the age of 3 and have been classically trained with the Royal Conservatory. No, I can’t play everything by ear, and yes, it’s been a while since I actually took lessons, but…I’m pretty damn good. It’s a great party trick.
6. I sucked my thumb until I was 12. 12!!! The only reason I stopped was because I knew that I needed braces, and my parents refused to get them for me if I didn’t stop. It worked.
7. I hate, hate HATE when cupboards or drawers are left open/won’t close. I refuse to acknowledge this behaviour as OCD, because I think that is a far more serious, life-debilitating condition, but it absolutely jumbles and squeezes my insides when someone does this. One of the most serious fights my ex and I got into was a ‘joke’ he played on me, saying that he left the cupboards in our apartment open as we were on the bus home to see our parents. I LOST IT. That ‘joke’ was never played again. It turns out he hadn’t actually left them open, which was his saving grace.
8. I’ve wanted to get the same tattoo for years, but keep switching up where to get it placed. The Anderson family motto, “Stand Sure”, in my dad’s gorgeous handwriting. But the question is…where? And so, it’s been over five years of me thinking about where, and still no location. Suggestions?
9. I used to believe that by praying, I could turn into Sailor Moon. Seriously. I would leave a stick on my windowsill and pray for it to be turned into the Moon Sceptre Wand (remember that?). It never worked. I would always wake up disappointed the following morning.
10. I have only broken one bone. My nose. It was fourth grade, and our gym class was playing free-for-all floor hockey (this was before face masks, dears. It was a time of hard plastic sticks and pucks, and slapshots galore). A classmate went to take a slapshot and naturally, my face was behind her stick. My distinct memories of the incident are as follows: my dad rushing into the school office, taking one look at me, and laughing while exclaiming, “Well, it looks like you broke your nose!”; being in the doctor’s office and having Dad (again), say “You are going to look like a football player under your eyes tomorrow. Black and blue.”; and staying inside on break when the other children were able to go out and play. Oh, did I mention that it happened shortly before Christmas and I had a duet to sing in front of the entire church on Christmas Eve? I’m pretty sure my mother used cover up and prayed that my voice wouldn’t be affected by the swelling.
Now that you know eerily more about me…what about you? Tell me:
- something interesting and unique about yourself that not a lot of people know,
- a crazy childhood event, and
- a pet peeve that absolutely drives you crazy
Looking forward to getting to know you more!